The Sagamore – Over 100 Years of Luxury on Lake George
The Sagamore Resort’s illustrious history began over one hundred years ago when hotel operator Myron O. Brown was inspired to build an exclusive resort community in the Adirondacks with luxurious Lake George accommodations. He turned to support from four Philadelphia millionaires who summered in the stately mansions on the lake’s western shore: E. Burgess Warren, William B. Bement, Robert Glendenning and George Burnham. Together they purchased Green Island as the future site of the resort and formed The Green Island Improvement Company, which was later joined by investor John Boulton Simpson, who would go on to become the company’s president.
The Sagamore opened its doors in 1883 with luxurious Lake George accommodations that attracted a select, international clientele, and quickly became the social epicenter for the wealthy residents of Green Island and Millionaires Row. Twice damaged by fire in 1893 and 1914, The Sagamore was fully reconstructed in 1930 through the efforts of Dr. William G. Beckers of New York City, one of the hotel's early stockholders, and William H. Bixby, a St. Louis industrialist. Together they financed the cost in spite of the period’s bleak economic climate and The Sagamore continued to thrive, hosting the National Governor's Conference in 1954, which was presided over by Vice President Richard M. Nixon and Governor Thomas E. Dewey.
As times and tastes changed, The Sagamore fell into disrepair before closing its doors in 1981. In 1983, one hundred years after the opening of the first Sagamore, builder and real estate developer Norman Wolgin, of Philadelphia, purchased the hotel with the desire to restore its former grandeur. Wolgin formed a partnership under the name Green Island Associates with Kennington Ltd., Inc. of Los Angeles, to oversee the hotel’s splendid restoration and secure The Sagamore’s inclusion on the National Register of Historic Places.
Today, The Sagamore continues the legacy first envisioned by Myron O. Brown, inviting guests to experience the unmatched beauty of the Adirondacks with luxurious Lake George accommodations, extraordinary dining, an award-winning spa and endless opportunities to enjoy our magnificent surroundings.
The area surrounding The Sagamore is rich in history. As early as 1642 the land was explored by the French who named the lake "Lac Du Saint Sacrement" in honor of the Catholic sacrament of the Eucharist. Fighting among the French, British and native population occurred in the lake region during the French and Indian War, and is recorded by James Fennimore Cooper in The Last of The Mohicans. After the final British victory the lake was renamed for King George II. Lake George and Bolton Landing are within the borders of the six million acre New York Adirondack State Park, created in 1892.
BOOK A ROOM