The Sagamore Resort on Lake George is a landmark hotel with a prestigious history that dates back to the 1880s. Secluded on a private 70-acre island just 60 miles north of Albany, The Sagamore has hosted families, celebrities and dignitaries alike with their signature hospitality established over a century ago by Myron O. Brown. Along with an inspiring setting in the heart of the Adirondacks, our historic enclave offers elegant lakeside accommodations, award-winning dining, an 18-hole Donald Ross-designed golf course and a commitment to creating remarkable guest experiences every day. With an unmatched selection of water and land activities to enjoy at your leisure, The Sagamore is a year-round Lake George resort ideal for family vacations, weekend getaways and one-of-a-kind events.
The History of The Sagamore – Over 100 Years of Luxury on Lake George
The Sagamore Resort’s illustrious history began over one hundred years ago when hotel operator Myron O. Brown was inspired to build an exclusive resort community in the Adirondacks with luxurious Lake George accommodations. He turned to support from four Philadelphia millionaires who summered in the stately mansions on the lake’s western shore: E. Burgess Warren, William B. Bement, Robert Glendenning and George Burnham. Together they purchased Green Island as the future site of the resort and formed The Green Island Improvement Company, which was later joined by investor John Boulton Simpson, who would go on to become the company’s president.
The Sagamore opened its doors in 1883 with luxurious Lake George accommodations that attracted a select, international clientele, and quickly became the social epicenter for the wealthy residents of Green Island and Millionaires’ Row. Twice damaged by fire in 1893 and 1914, The Sagamore was fully reconstructed in 1930 through the efforts of Dr. William G. Beckers of New York City, one of the hotel's early stockholders, and William H. Bixby, a St. Louis industrialist. Together they financed the cost despite the period’s bleak economic climate and The Sagamore continued to thrive, hosting the National Governor's Conference in 1954, which was presided over by Vice President Richard M. Nixon and Governor Thomas E. Dewey.
As times and tastes changed, The Sagamore fell into disrepair before closing its doors in 1981. In 1983, one hundred years after the opening of the first Sagamore, builder and real estate developer Norman Wolgin, of Philadelphia, purchased the hotel with the desire to restore its former grandeur. Wolgin formed a partnership under the name Green Island Associates with Kennington Ltd., Inc. of Los Angeles, to oversee the hotel’s splendid restoration and secure The Sagamore’s inclusion on the National Register of Historic Places.
Today, The Sagamore continues the legacy first envisioned by Myron O. Brown, inviting guests to experience the unmatched beauty of the Adirondacks with luxurious Lake George accommodations, extraordinary dining, an award-winning spa and endless opportunities to enjoy our magnificent surroundings.
The Sagamore Resort is an official landmark listed in the National Register of Historic Places and a member of the Preferred Hotels and Resorts, Historic Hotels of America, and a recipient of the prestigious AAA Four-Diamond Award.